A recipe from Keith Wilson from Highland Heritage Restaurant
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3cm piece of ginger, peeled, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, roots and leaves chopped separately
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chilli paste
- Juice 1 lime
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 3 cans coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion, garlic, ginger and chopped roots of coriander and cook over low heat until onion is soft.
Add brown sugar and chilli paste and stir over heat 1 minute. Add chopped coriander leaves, lime juice and sweet potato. Stir in coconut milk, adding a little water if sweet potato is not covered.
Simmer, partly covered over low heat about 1 hour or until sweet potato is very soft.
Blend or puree soup until smooth, adding a little water if too thick. Return to saucepan, heat gently, stir in fish sauce and season to taste.