A recipe from Peter Willis – Saplings Cafe, Orange Botanic Garden.
- 1 loaf of sour dough (enough for 24 pieces @ 4 cms x 6 cms)
- 50g melted butter
- Dash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100g blue cheese
- 2 Tbs crème fraiche
- 60g of roasted, skinned and coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- 4 small pears thinly sliced
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Place a 1 cm slice of sour dough on a baking tray, brush with the combined oil and butter and bake until golden brown.
Combine the blue cheese, crème fraiche and hazelnuts. Spread this mixture over the croutons. Top with char-grilled pear slices and lightly coat with balsamic vinegar.
Topping sufficient for approx 24 croutons as a canapé.